Saturday, November 8, 2008

Being lost in a spoiled world.

After watching another energizing Ted Talk and reflect about my last career accomplishment, the end of my Software Engineering degree, I concluded what already everybody knows. We just want to foolish ourselves about how important we are.

Independently of how sad we are about our situation, either is the fucking credit crunch, how small is our shared apartment, the companies food quality or the our bosses demands we should really take a day-off, as I did today, and wonder about our, from our own perspective, insignificant lives.

Fullfilment comes in great extent from acknowledgement, acknowledgement from our peers and, especially acknowledgement from our superiors, idols and icons. The big problem is that we descry on who provides this positive feedback to us.

Why the hell, do we want to prove ourselves to the fat guy and not to the hungry?
Why the hell, do we want to give a coin to the beggar?
Why the hell, do we want the new car when the old is still a car?
Why the hell, do we want uncomfortable shirts and not warm sweaters?
Why the hell, do we want caviar and not sturgeon?
Why the hell, do we always want black caviar and not red?

I consider myself an individualist, independent and selfish person. Since ever I've tried to emend and suppress this character edges...

Following this line of arguments, and knowing myself as I do, it will not take long I will start thinking more and more about giving than receiving.

The only thing it is missing is the formula, the module, the how-to...

And this is the point the Ted Talk comes in.

Everybody knows the flattening power the Web can have.

The only problem is how can the Web reach those who cannot afford it. The solution is easy and that's why I am pleased to work where I do for a simple reason: the Web and the mobile have to merge.

This merge brings a lot of advantages for who is poor.
The mobile phone is cheap, needs very little energy, is resistant and mobile.

As soon as this people start to have access to information they will gradually and exponentially leverage their life standards.

I, sincerely, hope to be there to watch it from close.

Update 11/10 : Controlling the pyramid bottom
Update 11/10 : Closing down the gap?
Update 11/10 : Shared Mobile

No comments: